Mittwoch, 4. November 2009

1. Quartalbericht

Dear Counsellor Dr. Minal Gupte, dear Roratians,


Now, that I have already spent three months and a half in the big and beautiful city of Mumbai, I got to know so much about the Indian culture, the different languages and the mentality. Impressed of the new enviroment I came in, I opened a Blog in the Internet to share my experiences and thoughts with my German family and friends. Giving my tree month report I refer to these texts in the Blog along with my monthly reports given to my host club.

Remembering my very first impression of India I would like to share with you a small part of my first Internet report translated into English:
„Yes, all is different over here. The air is wet and warm, every corner, every street smells different. It is generally louder. The colours are much more intensive, there are people everywhere. Till now I did not see a cow on the streets, but some dogs looking for something edible.
Arriving in the house of my first home, the house of family Mokashi, my bags could enter before me. I firstly recieved a kind of red and yellow powder on my forehead. Then, before anybody could tell me how, I took a step in – unfortunately with the left foot. Luckily I was told, that my families are not that strict with old traditions, so I was calmed again.“

By now of course I do have seen cows on the streets. More and more I also try to learn and understand the rituals and traditions followed by my host family. I really got interested in the old Indian mytholgy, I like to listen to stories of Ramayana and Mahabharta and I am always happy, if, entering a Hindu temple, I can make out the names of the different gods, and maybe also the relations amongst them. The many different names and appiriences of just one single god are quiet confusing to me, though I always try to somehow connect them with the trinity Brahma-Vishnu-Mahesh to remember them.
In my first month I startet joining Yoga classes, which I still enjoy. Almost daily I do breathing and streching exercises and relax. Thanks my host mother I also learned some basics of Hindi and the scripture in two months time. Just today I will start with Hindi classes, to learn something about the grammar aswell.
As I am a student in the V. G. Vaze College in Mulund, I got to know the teaching method here, that differs a lot from the classes in Germany. I also have been invited to an other college in Mulund to make a speech about my home country.
How I feel, living in Mumbai is a continuous learning process. Specially travelling has to be learned: By now I know how to go by train, by bus, rickshaw, taxi, or walking along the dusty streets without being hit by any vehicle or step on a dog sleeping in the hot sun. My bargaining also has improved quite a lot, what I notice looking into my cupboard and my wallet.

I now come to all the festivals I got to know: Firstly I enjoyed watching the pyramides of men on the birthday of Krishna, trying to reach the colourful Handi with yellow Dahi inside. Hardly two weeks later Ganpati celebrations were going on and I learned a lot of new recipies; Poha, Aluwari, Cachori and Puranpoli are just a few of them. In honor of the occasion I also wore my Saree for the first time, it was given to me on my birthday, which took place just one day after my arrival in India. Not only putting on the Saree, but also walking and sitting with such a lot of textil around me was more difficult than I thought. I participated in Poojas, Aartis and I watched how the big, colourful statues are immersed in the water.
The time of Nauratri was full of dancing. I loved playing Garba and Dandiya to the loud music with its strong rythm. I aso got some nice prices, but I think they are mostly for being the only blond participant than for my dancing skills. On Dassera, the tenth day, my host family took me to the house of my host grandparents to give them Sona. In the night I saw an exciting burning of the deamon Ravan – I did not think, that the statue was filled with explosive stuff, so I was really impressed by the big fire and the deafening noise.
Still hearing the last firecrackers in the background I remember Diwali. I have never seen so many colours and lights blinking in the darkness! I draw Rangoli, I lit crackers and my host mother tought me the recipy of Coconut Barfi.

Along with the festivals that took place, I also visited a lot of places in and out of Mumbai city.
Apart from Mulund I know Thane, Bandra, Matunga, Andheri and the South of the city quite a bit – I have been to the famous Gateway of India, the beautiful Hanging Gardens, the Aquarium, the Haji Ali Mosk and the Mahalaxmi temple; I visied the Prince of Wales Museum and a photography gallery and on the suggestion of my host father Pradyumna I could even enter one of the courts. I also saw the Taj Hotel not only from outside; as the German consulate invited all Germans staying in Mumbai to celebrate the 19th German day of unity there, I also had the chance to see the famous christal room. I got to know the National Park during hiking or trekking tours with other Inbounds or my host family.
I participated in the Monsoon RYLA, which took place in Panvel. I have pleasent memories of the mountains and waterfalls near our hotel.
As already mentioned, my host parents took me to Badlapur, where my host grandparents stay; I always enjoy the fresh air and the relaxed way of living when I am there.
My host family and me made a tour to Vasai, where we visited a relatives house; to Nashik, where we visited the caves of the Pandava brothers, the Godavari river and the famous mineral stone museum; and, together with many other Inbounds, I have been to Ulhasnagar to celebrate the birthday of Victor, which was very well orgainzed by his host club. We had a lot of fun!

Remembering all these trips I am really looking foreward to the South India tour.
I thank Rotary for giving us this great opportunity to get to know India for one year. Although I miss my family and friends in Germany sometimes, I am really glad to be here and I enjoy a lot. Thank you for supporting me!

Follower

Über mich

Mein Bild
Rotary-Austauschschülerin nach Mumbai